THISyear represents 80years since the first Bendigo Historical Society was formed at a meeting in the Bendigo Town Hall. Amongthe items discussed in 1935 was the idea of a History Museum, which will be one of the matters raised at the July meeting of the society on July 3 in the Bendigo TAFE Theatrette at 2pm. The future of the Discovery Centre will also be discussed. These meetings are open to all,not justmembers.
The year 1925 was an eventful onein the history of Bendigo, with headlines in the Bendigo Advertiser on Lansell Family Bequests to Bendigo Hospital, Electricity supplied to Kangaroo Flat, Rescues from drowning, Bendigo Pottery awards, a Sewerage Inquiry and the Soldiers’ Memorial Appeal.
Another significant event in that year was the formation of the Rotary Club of Bendigo. In a booklet compiled by Heather Hampton, the history of this club isset out. A representative meeting was held in the Bendigo Town Hall on March 12,when prominent Rotarians visited the city and met a representative gathering of citizens.
The visitors compromised Professor Osborne, Commissioner of Rotary International, Mr Emery, Acting President of Melbourne Rotary Club and Mr Drummond, Honorary Secretary of Melbourne Rotary Club. The Mayor, Cr Vains, presided and 20leading citizens were present. The speakers explained that a Rotary Club was a group of representative business and professional men, one man from each distinct business or profession in a community, who had, without secret vow, dogma or creed, but each in his own way,accepted the Rotary philosophy of service.
OnMarch 19, the inaugural meeting of the Bendigo Rotary Club was held at Favaloro’s Café in Pall Mall. Twenty Bendigo citizen representatives of the most important phases of the business and industrial activity of the city met and affirmed the necessity for good-fellowship and community service before self. The Charter members of the Bendigo Rotary Club were President, Cr Vains (Stock & Station Agent), Vice-President Mr JRV Anderson (Education), Honorary Secretary Mr AH Leggo (Timber Merchant), Mr W McKie (Public Accountant); the Board of Directors included Cr Guidice (Merchant Real Estate), Mr AL Bolton (Manufacturing Stationer), Mr HC Ingleton (Town Clerk), Mr CF Neal (Solicitor), Mr F Levy (Wine & Spirit Merchant) andDr WJ Long (surgeon). The Sergeant-at-Arms was Mr WA Simcoe. There were 14other members including George Victor Lansell.
The Bendigo Rotary Club began sponsoring Bendigo students in international exchange programs, starting in 1962. The Exchange Student in 1981 was Simone Evans, a Year 10 student at Golden Square High School who spent a year in Japan. She celebrated her 50th birthday on June 21 and is now an Associate Professor at Bahrain University.
Bendigo Historical Society July meeting Friday July 3 Bendigo TAFE Theatrette McCrae Street 2pm. All welcome. Entry by gold coin donation.
Songs of the Anzacsdouble CD featuring Peter Ellis & Emu Creek Bush Band. Cost $25 Specimen Cottage (5441 3443) Archives Nolan Street (5442 1005).
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美甲美睫培训学校.