Four poisoned using barbecue coals to heat Sydney unit

Tragic deaths: Helena Curic and Derek Kehler are believed to have suffocated in their sleep as a woodchip fire burnt through the night in the converted shipping container in which they were staying. Photo: SuppliedFour people were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning on Sunday morning after using barbecue coals to heat their Bankstown unit.
Nanjing Night Net

A spokesman for Fire and Rescue NSW confirmed that firefighters attended premises in Bankstown, with paramedics, about 3am on Sunday.

The victims were taken to hospital. Their condition is unknown.

The incident comes just a few weeks after a couple were found dead inside a makeshift cabin in Kurrajong, about 75 kilometres from Sydney.

Derek Kehler, 32, and Helena Curic, 31, are believed to have suffocated in their sleep as a woodchip fire burnt through the night in the converted shipping container in which they were staying on what was meant to be an idyllic long weekend with family.

Fire and Rescue NSW has again repeated its warning for people to avoiding using outside cooking appliances and heaters indoors, especially in inclosed spaces where there is no airflow.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.