You can cancel my passport: Islamic State doctor Tareq Kamleh loved Australia but won’t return

Australian doctor Tareq Kamleh in the IS propaganda video. Photo: SuppliedA playboy doctor who fled Australia to join Islamic State said he anticipated an arrest warrant being issuedfor him and he has no plans to return to the country he “once loved so much”.
Nanjing Night Net

The Australian Federal Police issued awarrant for the arrest of Tareq Kamleh last week, alleging he is a member of a terrorist group, is recruiting for a terrorist group and hasentered a so-called “declared area”, one of the government’s proscribed terrorismno-go zones.

Dr Kamleh, a former paediatric registrar who worked in three states, secretly left Australia and later emerged in anIslamic State propaganda videoin April,spruiking the terrorist group’s healthcare system and calling on others to join him.

In a post on his Facebook page on Sunday, Dr Kamleh said the federal police’s case against him did notindicate “a malicious character on my behalf”and it displayed the kind of injustice in the judicial system that was the catalyst for him leaving.

“I anticipated an arrest warrant, hence why I left in secret,” he posted.

“Do as you please, I no longer consider myself an Australian.”

He said he once loved Australia but the “continuous bombing of civilian targets here by the coalition has done nothing but disappoint me of the country I once loved so much”.

Dr Kamleh, who goes by the nom-de-guerre Abu Yousef Al-Australie,has previously said he was running the paediatric component of a casualties division in a hospital in Raqqa, Syria.

He said he travelled to the Islamic State stronghold because there was an overt lack of qualified medical care and he felt a”humanitarian duty” to help the children.

He said he had no concern if his passport was cancelled because he had no intention to return.

The arrest warrant for Dr Kamlehcame as Federal Parliament fiercely debatedplans to strip dual nationals of their Australian citizenshipif they are deemed to be terrorists.

If the government’s plans become law, jihadists who are in Syria or Iraq fighting or supporting groups such as the Islamic State would be blocked from returning to Australia, rather than allowed to return, then arrested and prosecuted.

Former colleagues have previously said they were surprised to see Dr Kamleh surface in an Islamic State video because he was known for being a flirtatious, lazy doctor with a playboy lifestyle.

He has since posted photos on Facebook of a child’s X-ray and a premature baby, saying the pathology in the war-ravaged country was “incredible”.

Source: SMH

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Continue reading …

Queensland driving tests a tougher road for learner drivers

Learner drivers will face a tougher test to get their Queensland licences from June 29. Learner drivers will face a tougher test to get their Queensland licences from June 29. Photo: Simon O’Dwyer
Nanjing Night Net

The road from L- to P-plates will be made more challenging from this month as the state government attempts to prevent more young deaths on Queensland roads.

But the LNP opposition has demanded credit for the move, saying the Newman government had started the process three years ago and accused Labor of plagiarising its ideas.

However, a Bligh Labor government discussion paper released in 2011 foreshadowed many of the changes.

Road Safety Minister Mark Bailey said the new Q-SAFE practical driving test, which would shift more focus towards potentially dangerous situations, would make it harder for learner-drivers to get their drivers’ licences.

Under the Q-SAFE system, learner-drivers would be tested on merging lanes at higher speeds and safely turning across oncoming traffic.

“Too many young drivers are killed on our roads and we are acting to make the next generation of motorists more skilled at handling dangerous situations,” Mr Bailey said.

“Driving tests will focus more on potentially fatal traffic hazards and less on parking manoeuvres.”

Mr Bailey said there would also be “zero tolerance” for speeding.

“Speeding is responsible for one in five road deaths so there will be absolutely no excuses if you drive with reckless disregard for others on Queensland roads,” he said.

“Learner drivers will also be tested on safe following distances and response times to dangerous situations.”

As of Sunday morning, the state’s 2015 road toll stood at 111, up from 98 at the same time in 2014.

The state opposition welcomed the proposal, but at the same time blasted the government for doing what the LNP would have done had it not lost the 2015 state election.

Opposition transport spokesman Andrew Powell said the Newman government first flagged the changes in 2012 and had introduced pilot programs across the state last year.

Mr Powell accused the Palaszczuk government of “blatant plagiarism”.

“In 2012, then-minister Scott Emerson outlined the LNP’s plan to overhaul Queensland driving tests for the first time in more than a decade,” he said.

“We then underwent extensive public consultation before introducing a hugely successful pilot program to test the changes at seven sites across Queensland.

“For minister Mark Bailey to try and claim credit for yet another LNP initiative goes to show that this Labor government has no plan, no policies and no ideas of its own.”

The 2011 Bligh-era discussion paper recommended competency-based tests that would go beyond basic skills and look at higher-order safe driving abilities, including planning ahead and anticipating risks and hazards.

“In a competency-based test, the driving examiner will watch and assess a candidate’s skills, looking for evidence of observing other traffic and road users, identifying potential hazards and driving accordingly, planning ahead and making safe decisions,” it said.

The new Q-SAFE practical driving test was set to be introduced across Queensland on Monday, June 29.

RACQ spokesman Joe Fitzgerald said the government had been consultative in its approach and the motor club was happy with the outcome.

“We’re pleased this is the next step in making sure drivers remain safe,” he said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Continue reading …

Man beaten unconscious in late-night racial attack in Prahran: police

CCTV footage from the scene of a racial attack in Prahran on Sunday morning. Photo: Victoria Police CCTV footage from the scene of a racial attack in Prahran on Sunday morning.
Nanjing Night Net

 A 33-year-old man has been beaten unconscious – twice – during a late-night attack in front of stunned onlookers.

The man, originally from Kenya, had been trying to ignore a group of three men who began following him, shouting racial abuse as he left a Chapel Street nightclub.

But the group continued taunting him until he was finally set upon in a Prahran car park just after 3am on Sunday.

The man was knocked out by repeated blows to the head, regained consciousness, and was then knocked out again with another kick to the head, police said.

Shocked onlookers near the car park, on the corner of Princes Close and Little Chapel Street, rushed to help the man while the three attackers fled.

The man suffered such severe facial injuries that he’s been unable to tell police exactly what happened.

But Detective Senior Constable Katie Johnston said the entire attack has been captured on CCTV cameras.

“We’ve seen it and it’s disgusting, to be honest,” she said.

“This one is particularly sickening. Very brutal. And the fact that he’s been rendered unconscious, twice, in a matter of 30 seconds is just disgusting.”

She said the three men were much larger than the man, who remains in The Alfred hospital in a serious but stable condition.

“He didn’t physically stand any chance,” she said. “He was just sticking up for himself and it’s ended up with himself in hospital.”

Two of the men were Caucasian in appearance while the third man was perceived to be of Islander appearance with short, black dreadlocks.

Police have released images of the men taken from CCTV footage of the area, as well as images of three others who were in the area and may be able to help in the investigation.

Anyone who witnessed the attack or has information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Continue reading …

Griffith go down to SIRU leaders

WRAPPED UP: Griffith Blacks player Andre Boon is going nowhere after being caught by the Albury defence. Picture: Anthony Stipo
Nanjing Night Net

The Griffith Blacks recorded consecutive defeatsfor the first time in the Southern Inland Rugby Union season on Saturday after losing 37-31 to the Albury Steamers.

The grand final re-match saw the reigning premiers go down to thecurrent competition leaders at Coro oval, the game producing an entertaining spectacle.

The Blacks werecruising early in the clash as theirforward pack dominated the middle exchanges to set up a19-5 advantage.

But the Steamers are leading the competition for a reason.

On the back of penalties and extra possession, the visitors scored four tries to lead 31-19 at the break.

The Blacks had their opportunities in the second half and brought it back to 31-26,but the Steamers pulled away again before a late rallyfrom the home side fell just short.

Vaea Mateo was outstanding for the Blacks and finished with a personal haul of 21 points after scoring three tries and nailing three conversions.

Nick Gleeson and Semisi Rogoyawa were the Blacks’ other try scorers.

Blacks co-coach Matt Vitucci said it was a game his teamcould have won with better decision making.

“It was there for the taking, but we didn’t capitalise on our opportunities as much as we should’veand we gave away silly penalties and silly errors,” he said.

“Albury are too good of a side to pass up on them and they made the most of it in the end.It’s just something we’re going to have to try and learn from.”

Saturday’s loss was the Blacks’ second in as many weeks after they went down to CSU 20-15 the previous round.

Despite the results, Griffith remainthird on the ladder after nine rounds.

Vitucci said the Blacks were still well positionedahead of the competition split in two weeks.

“The losswasn’t too bad a result for us,” he said.

“It’s given us a good look at what we need to work onand given as a good gauge of where we’re at in the season.”

In other results against Albury, Hay (Griffith) won reserve grade 42-0, while the Blacks women’s side won its clash 39-7.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Continue reading …

Roos show class with triumph over Demons

HARD BALL: Waubra’s Stuart Oliver in the contest against Bungaree’s Bradley Lane and Ashley McDonald on Saturday. Picture: Kate Healy.
Nanjing Night Net

BUNGAREE’S dream start to the season came crashing down on Saturday with a 31-point defeat atthe hands of Waubra.

The unbeaten Demons were unsettled by the Kangaroo onslaught and struggled to gain a clear breakin the game.

Bungaree looked dangerous, kicking two goals in the first five minutes of the game, but fizzled out as

Waubra took hold and kicked the next four.

That two-goal lead of Waubra’s was eroded by three majors from Bungaree 10 minutes into thesecond term.

Two late Kangaroo goals saw them maintain a slender seven-point lead at half time.

The third quarter was Bungaree’s downfall. Four Waubra majors sailed through and the Demonsjust managed two points.

That31-point Rooslead going into the final term was too hard to cut andthe damage had beendone.

The hero of Waubra’s win was half-forward Tim Boyle, who booted seven of his team’s 12 majors.

He took some big marks and was cool and calm converting set shots.

Tim Mullane was the other multiple scorer with two majors.

One player who was hungry in attack was Rhys Brown. He worked hard for his single goal.

Clearances seesawed from quarter to quarter, but Bungaree’s ruckman David Benson took it up toWaubra’s big men, led by Matthew Wapling.

It was a tough day for Demons forwards, but a highlight was Shaun Finlayson’s two majors.

According to Waubra’s coach Grant Luscombe, it was the Roos’ hardness in the contests thatmade thedifference against Bungaree.

“It was a highly contested game. We always knew it was going to be againstthe topside,” Luscombe said.

“Bungaree are there for a reason. They contest the footy well. We had to match them in that area.

“I thought our backsix were very good. But our pressure from our midfield was pretty good,too.”

Bungaree coach Heath Pyke said it was the result the Demons deserved for the way they played onthe day.

“In the end, it was probably a just result. Probably the result we deserved for the way we played. I don’t think at any stage did we play fluently. Waubra was far too good for us,” Pyke said.

“They wanted more of the contest than we did. Definitely won more contested footy than we did.”

When asked about losing top spot, Pyke said:”It puts us back in the mix again. Makeslife a little bit harder come the end of the year.”

Waubra now prepares for a clash against Ballan, while Bungaree eyes a meeting withCarngham-Linton.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Continue reading …